The Resolve to be Ready in 2011 initiative is led by FEMA's Ready Campaign in partnership with Citizen Corps and The Advertising Council. For more information on the Ready Campaign and Citizen Corps, visit Ready.gov and CitizenCorps.gov.
Emergency and preparedness items that might make great gifts this Holiday Season include:
- Portable, battery powered radio with NOAA Weather Radio channels, and extra batteries.
- Enrollment in a CPR or first-aid class.
- GPS units for vehicles.
- Emergency generators.
- Emergency cell phones.
- Carbon Monoxide and Smoke detectors.
- Appropriate fire extinguishers (kitchen, garage, car).
- Disaster kits for homes, offices and autos (first aid kits, food, water and prescription medications for 72 hours, eyeglasses, extra clothing, blankets, flashlights, spare batteries, heavy-duty work gloves, and sturdy pair of shoes).
- Emergency escape ladders for second-story exit in a fire.
- Car kits (emergency flares, shovels, ice scrapers, flashlights and fluorescent distress flags).
- Pet Disaster kits (food, water, leashes, dishes and carrying case or crate).
- A camp stove with extra fuel.
- The gift of a gardener to cut back combustible vegetation from wildfire-vulnerable homes.
- National Flood Insurance.
FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.
Last Modified: Friday, 03-Dec-2010 09:48:30